Friday, August 5, 2011

In Everything..

Give Thanks.  In the minutest detail of life.  In the trials.  In the pain.  In the storm. 
When stress is overwhelming.  When sadness comes.  

When we don't feel like it at all... Give thanks anyway.

Having a thankful heart can come only from knowing that God is sovereign - that He is.  Who He says He is.  Who He has always been.  This knowledge cannot be known without thankfulness overflowing in my heart.

And yet.. there are days when I can't seem to get the words out.  when everything feels so out of control.  when I know who He is - but still can't seem to give thanks.  

Why?  My soul cries. why can't I thank you even while I know who you are?

It is then that He whispers to my heart, You must be broken on Me.  You must surrender your will, your pride, everything, to Me.  You must deny yourself to truly see Me as I am. To truly give Me the thanks - the praise I deserve.  

Brokenness.  it happens when I realize I am not enough.  that I can do nothing on my own.  

And then.  THEN... I can SEE Him.  
then I can give thanks.

Not because of my circumstances. Not even in spite of them.  Because in that moment all I can see is Him.  Everything disappears. fades. pales in the Presence of the Holy God.

I have been broken on the Rock.  And He holds me.  He tells me I am His, and He is more than enough.  

so I give thanks.

"In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (Emphasis added)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

How you captured with wonderful words the beauty of being broken in oder to truly give thanks to the Lord... oh, how often am I reminded that when I am weak and broken, it is then when I truly see how great He is and my heart fills with thanksgiving!

In Christ,
~Shannon~